Gaga ball is form of dodgeball, commonly played as a recreational game by Israeli children.
Gaga can be a large group of people playing individually, a group of people working as a team against another team, or even one-on-one matches. It is a great game that people of all ages can enjoy together!
Gaga is played in a large octagon or hexagon called the Gaga court. Gaga begins with someone throwing the gaga ball up into the air. When it bounces the players say “Ga” each bounce for the first two bounces. After two bounces the ball is in play and the game starts. If the ball is caught after a player pops it up (see rule 6 below) then this will repeat. If a player is hit below the waist, the player is out. Using the walls of the octagon to aid in jumping is legal as long as the player does not permanently sit on the ledge of the octagon.
Cove Valley Christian Youth Camp House Rules
- All players must be touching the wall when the ball is tossed up in the air. All players yell “GA!” on the first bounce and “GA!” on the second bounce. The ball is then in play, and the players can leave the wall.
- Players hit the ball with their hands only. Players may NOT throw the ball – it must be hit with either an open hand or fist.
- Any player who is touched below the waist by the ball (directly or off of the wall) is “OUT” and must leave the pit. If the ball contacts the player above the waist, the player is still in.
- Blocking with your hands is allowed, but kneeling on the ground is NOT allowed. A player is “OUT” if he or she kneels to avoid getting hit.
- If the ball goes out of the gaga court, the last player to touch the ball is “OUT”.
- If a player catches the ball before it bounces, the player who had the last contact with the ball is eliminated.
- Once a player hits the ball, he or she must wait until the ball touches someone else before hitting it again (no double touches).
- If there are only two players remaining, a player may hit the ball up to 3 times in a row. The ball is “rejuvenated” by contact with the wall, and the hit count resets.
TEAM GAGA BALL: Teaming, or intentional passing of the ball to other players, is allowed if agreed PRIOR to play, and TEAMS must be specified in advance of play.